You’ll be surprised how much you are doing wrong!
Hair can be long or short, curly, straight or wavy, blonde, brunette, or anything in between. One can choose to keep it natural or use the myriad of products available in the market to change it up, be it the color, style, or texture. Really, there is no limit on the length, color, form or feel of hair that one can have, whether it’s something you were born with or decided to transform. The one unifying factor is that it has to be taken care of to stay healthy.
We all think that we know how to take care of our hair, shampooing, conditioning, some products after, and we are good to go. But as it turns out there’s A LOT we are doing wrong. So let’s go over the right way to take care of our hair.
These might be shocking, since we ‘ve been taking care of our hair all our lives, and we think we know what we are doing…. Think again!
- The most important advice here is to only wash hair every 2-3 days, you can choose to do it even less often. Washing really strips hair of oils and minerals and causes hair to dry out, so try to only do it when necessary, without sacrificing hygiene of course.
- Precondition hair with some oil prior to washing it by massaging it into the hair and scalp. Argan Dew Moroccan Oil is a popular option for accomplishing this.
- Use lukewarm water since hot water can cause damage, much like the hot air from the hair drier can.
- Shampoo can dry hair out by stripping it of its natural oils so try to dilute shampoo with water before applying to hair. A great shampoo to try is Argan Dew Shampoo
- When working the shampoo into your hair do it gently.
- To avoid build up apply conditioner (Argan Dew Conditioner) from the middle of your hair to the ends, leave it in for a couple of minutes and then wash off.
- Use microfiber towels instead of the regular (terrycloth) towels, as they can be too harsh on hair and cause breakage.
- Air-drying is best if you can avoid using a hair dryer, as the hot air damages your hair, then do so. If you really need the hair dryer for your desired hairstyle then only use it once your hair has mostly dried on its own, more than halfway.
- Detangle in the shower while conditioning.
- Use a wide tooth comb to detangle not a round or metal brush. The latter should only be used when styling.
- Detangle from the ends to the roots, not the other way around as most people do it. Start from a few inches above the ends, detangle those and go a bit higher, this way working all the way to the roots. This method is easier on the hair and causes less tangle to form and therefore less breakage.
- If you have to use a hairdryer for styling, then, as stated above, let your hair air dry as much as possible before and make sure to apply a heat protecting product such as Argan Dew Restorative Hair Treatment before beginning.
- Don’t go out with wet hair, dirt and pollution are more likely to stick to it.
- Sun damage – either cover your hair or use hair sunscreen
- Loose hair is beautiful but it is more at risk of damage from pollution and sun, so when style permits, tie it up in an updo, just make sure it’s not too tight.
- Once a week do a deep conditioning treatment to rehydrate your hair and fight damage. A great product for this is Argan Dew Hair Mask
- Use a silk pillow or a silk scarf, as silk is a much smoother surface and won’t break or damage hair, nor will it absorb the oils from your hair.
- For an extra boost, rub a bit of rejuvenating oil such as ARGAN Oil Protective Hair Serum into your hair, concentrating on the ends.
This regimen should ensure that your hair is always healthy, shiny and beautiful.