How to fix hair problems caused by winter weather!
Winter is almost here, in fact on some days it feels like it’s already here, and those days are multiplying fast! The temperatures keep going down and the winds keep picking up, and did we mention the rain, ohh so much rain!
The head and hair are the most exposed to the elements and they certainly wreak havoc on the hair, just in time for the holidays too, when we try so hard to look our very best for the many work, family and social gatherings happening at this time of the year.
Sure we all know the frizz inducing effects of hot and humid summer air, but what exactly does winter weather do to our hair that is so terrible, you may ask? Well, let’s take a look:
- The air tends to dry out when the temperatures drop causing the hair to lose moisture as well. Hair can become dry, brittle and even straw like.
- Static becomes a real problem in cold weather as well. Hair picks up the electrical charge from the dry and cold air outside and becomes very staticky and standing up when it should be flowing down.
- High winds tend to tangle and snag hair much more than usual, when you brush your hair out to get rid of the tangles and snags, the pulling action of brushing causes further breakage and split ends. In essence it becomes a never-ending cycle.
- As mentioned above, split ends are more common in the winter not only because of the increased brushing but also due to lack of moisture in the air.
- Another effect of the dry, cold air is that the scalp can dry out as well causing dandruff, irritation and itchiness.
There are of course things we can do to fight the effects of winter weather on our hair. Here are some basic things you should already be doing to protect your hair and to retain the softness, fullness and the shine!
- Fight the dry air – moisturize, moisturize moisturize! Washing your hair with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner is good, especially ones with healing oils in them such as Argan Dew shampoo and conditioner. But, still there is only so much you can do with that, since the washing itself strips hair of its natural oils. So the best thing to start doing on a regular basis is to infuse hair with oils. One of the best on the market is Argan Dew oil, this serum will deeply nourish and moisturize hair leaving it defrizzed, shiny and healthy.
- Trim your hair regularly, at most every 6 weeks, to get rid of the beginnings of split ends or any other breakage before they spread.
- Continue to protect hair from heat damage, while the sun is not as much of an issue anymore, the hair dryer becomes a big one during the cold months. You should use heat protective sprays when using the hair dryer.
- Use hair masks, they replenish and hydrate the hair and form a protective layer to keep the harsh elements at bay. Argan Dew hair mask is a great option.
- Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase, to help keep moisture in the hair, instead of being absorbed by the sheets, since silk and satin are repelling fabrics.
We must be proactive to protect our hair from damage and ensure the healthiest, most vibrant and shiny locks not only for the holiday season but for life!